Traffic & Parking
The traffic management plan for October 2 is a phased approach which attempts to limit inconvenience to residents and local traffic. It is currently anticipated that the first phase of the traffic management plan will commence shortly after the morning rush hour (at about 9 a.m.). Click here for a map of the parking and traffic closures.
- Big Bend will be closed from Forsyth to Forest Park Parkway.
- Westmoreland, Maryland, and Lindell will all be closed at Big Bend.
- Forsyth will be closed at Skinker and Big Bend. Access on Forsyth will be limited to:
- Campus traffic exiting the campus to the east towards Skinker
- Campus or debate traffic moving west from Hoyt to Wallace
- All traffic entering campus will be directed to Skinker at Brookings Drive.
- Eastbound traffic on Forsyth from Hanley will be permitted to travel to Big Bend and then southbound.
- Northbound traffic on Big Bend will be permitted to travel to Forsyth and then westbound.
Mid-afternoon (time to be determined)
- Big Bend will be closed from Wydown to Forsyth.
- Forsyth closes to all traffic at Asbury. Local traffic will be permitted on Forsyth between Asbury and Jackson.
Campus Internal Traffic Plan
The Parking Services Department (supported by WUPD) is responsible for activating the following traffic plan on October 2 after Forsyth is closed. Access to the Washington University campus will be as follows:
- All vehicles entering the campus will enter at Skinker and Brookings Drive.
- Traffic between Hoyt and Wallace on Forsyth will be limited to University traffic only.
- No traffic will be permitted between Hoyt and Skinker on Forsyth.
- Traffic may exit, but not enter, the campus at Hoyt and Forest Park Parkway.
- Traffic may exit, but not enter, the campus at Throop and Forest Park Parkway.
- Snow Way Drive between Throop and the Snow Way Garage will be limited to VIP and law enforcement vehicles with proper credentials after 3 p.m.
- Snow Way Drive west of the Snow Way Garage will be closed to traffic.
- No parking will be permitted on the following streets:
- Forsyth from Skinker to Big Bend
- Brookings Drive eastbound and westbound
- South 40:
- All traffic accessing the South 40 Residential Area will access off Wydown or Wallace and Forsyth.
- The Big Bend to Shepley Drive entrance will be closed no later than 3 p.m. on October 2.
- At 10 a.m., a two-way traffic plan will be implemented on Shepley Drive.
- All northbound traffic on Wallace will be blocked near Lot 48.
- Two-way traffic on Shepley will be blocked just west of Lot 54.
- Metro Bus service to the Danforth Campus, Forsyth and Big Bend will end at 10 a.m. on October 2 and resume normal traffic on October 3.
- Access to Metro Bus service will be available at Skinker and Forest Park Parkway. Metro will provide a supervisor at the stop to assist with questions.
- The university-operated "campus circulator" will provide service from Lot 4 to Mallinckrodt Center from 10 a.m. until the end of the normal schedule on October 2.
- Metro will provide signage at Mallinckrodt Center to advise riders of schedule changes.
- MetroLink will run on its normal schedule October 2.
Parking Lot Closures
- Lot 31, directly in front of the Athletic Complex, will be closed Sept. 20 – Oct. 6.
- Snow Way Garage: The roof of the garage will be closed Sept. 25 – Oct. 4.
- On Oct. 2, beginning at 3 p.m., vehicles parked in the garage will be allowed to exit but no new vehicles may enter until after midnight.
- No pedestrian traffic will be allowed on top of the garage on Oct. 2.
- Millbrook Garage: The top level of the garage will be closed Sept. 28 – Oct. 3. On Oct. 2, up to 414 spaces in the garage will be blocked off. That number may be increased as the debate approaches.
- Lot 35, outside Simon Hall, will be closed Oct. 2 – Oct. 3.
- Olympian Way will be closed Sept. 25 – Oct. 4.
- Lot 4, by Whitaker Hall, will be used for ticketed guests on Oct. 2.
- Lot 28, north of the Athletic Complex at Snow Way and Big Bend, will be closed Sept. 26 – Oct. 6.
- Lot 61, behind West Campus, will be closed Oct. 1 – Oct. 2.
- There will be no parking on Forsyth Blvd. or Brookings Drive on Oct. 2.